At least 50 civilians were killed in January during clashes between pro-government forces and armed rebels in North Kivu province in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, according to a report released on Wednesday by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
The situation report said fighting erupted between 12 and 16 January in more than a dozen villages in Rutshuru territory, affecting the Bukombo, Kihondo, Mutanda, Bambo and Tongo areas.
Several people were injured and many residents fled to seek refuge in neighbouring Masisi territory. The clashes involved AFC/M23 rebels and a pro-government militia known as Wazalendo, the report said.
OCHA also documented a separate incident in Masisi centre in which 11 people were killed and around 40 others wounded following an army airstrike targeting rebel positions earlier in January.
The Alliance Fleuve Congo (AFC/M23), a rebel coalition that includes the M23 movement, has been at the centre of the long-running conflict in eastern Congo.
The group, which the United Nations and Western governments say is supported by Rwanda, controls significant territory in eastern Congo, including the provincial capitals of Goma and Bukavu, seized in early 2025.
The Congolese presidency announced last week that it had accepted a ceasefire proposal put forward by Angola between the government and AFC/M23, effective 18 February. However, it remained unclear on Wednesday whether the truce was being fully observed by both sides.


No Comments
Join the DiscussionBe the first to join the discussion!