Kenya’s security agencies successfully intercepted a planned major terrorist operation in Nairobi on Thursday, authorities confirmed.
A coordinated mission by the National Intelligence Service (NIS) and the Special Operations Group (SOG) led to the arrest of several suspects linked to the Somalia-based militant network, al-Shabaab. The suspects were apprehended at a Nairobi hideout late on Tuesday, according to an NIS statement, which indicated the group was plotting a coordinated strike in the capital.
Officials said the operation followed extensive intelligence work, including surveillance and intercepted communications, spanning several weeks. During the raid, security forces recovered a stockpile of weapons and supplies, comprising five AK-47 rifles, six hand grenades, a Makarov pistol, hundreds of rounds of ammunition, as well as medical kits and food provisions.
“The quantity and variety of the materials seized indicate the group’s serious intent to carry out large-scale attacks,” a senior security official, who requested anonymity, said. “Stopping them now likely prevented significant loss of life.”
Further investigations are underway, with authorities analysing seized documents and electronic devices to map out the network’s recruitment channels, funding sources, and potential international links. Intelligence reports also suggested that the militants were planning kidnappings and other attacks during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
The operation comes amid Kenya’s sustained efforts to counter threats originating from instability in neighbouring Somalia. Al-Shabaab has previously carried out deadly attacks on Kenyan soil, most notably the 2013 Westgate Shopping Mall siege that claimed 67 lives and the Garissa University attack, which killed at least 140 people. The group said these attacks were retaliatory measures against Kenya’s contribution to the African Union Mission in Somalia.
Kenya has since maintained strict border security measures with Somalia, though President William Ruto recently announced plans to reopen the border in April. Past attempts to ease restrictions, such as in 2023, were delayed due to ongoing threats from the insurgents.


No Comments
Join the DiscussionBe the first to join the discussion!